OSEC news: We submitted a comment letter to the Financial Stability Oversight Council in response to the Council’s proposed regulations to Money Market Funds. Here’s a blog post on it. Here’s the actual letter.
- Italy follows France in implementing a transaction tax designed to hit high-frequency traders. Phillip Stafford at Financial Times February 19, 2013
- Even better, the EU is considering how to create a harmonized financial transactions tax. Floyd Norris at The New York Times February 21, 2013
- On her disclosure form, Mary Jo White neglected to list three of her prior clients. Just another “ethical landmine,” in Jonathan Weill’s words. Bloomberg February 15, 2013
- Another DOJ smokescreen as they pretend to go after Wall Street by extracting guilty pleas from foreign subsidiaries. Yves Smith asks “I’m not sure who the audience for this play-acting is supposed to be.” The DOJ seems to think there is one, showing how disconnected they really are. Matt Taibbi at Rolling Stone and Yves Smith at Naked Capitalism February 19, 2013
- POGO’s in-depth report details just how captured the SEC is by the institutions it is meant to regulate. Bill Moyers and Michael Winship at Moyers and Co. February 15, 2013